Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Recipe Recap Week 4

Once again this week I did not make a main dish.  It isn't because I was uninspired though.  I just happened to come across some tried and true recipes I hadn't made in a while. 

I have a slight obsession with recipes.  I am constantly tearing them out of magazines, searching for them on-line, and there are quite a few cooking blogs that I follow as well.  While I do not think I have ever stepped foot into a Red Lobster I have seen several blogs talk about a knock off of their Cheddar Bay Biscuits.  They sounded good so I decided to make those to go with our dinner on Sunday night.  I also needed a veggie to go with our beef stroganoff and I remembered seeing an herbed carrot recipe in my big binder so I made those as well.  Both were very easy to make and tasty.  Our veggie staple is steamed or roasted broccoli so the carrots were a nice change.  My only complaint about the biscuits is that it said to put melted butter with some garlic salt mixed in it on top the last few minutes of cooking to brown the biscuits.  Both Kevin and I felt this made them a little too salty.  If I were to make them again I would either skip this step altogether or only do the butter. 

Cheddar Bay Biscuits (from So Tasty So Yummy blog)

1c Bisquick
1/4 t garlic powder
1/2 c shredded cheddar
1/3 c milk
1 T melted butter
1/2 t parsley
1/2 t garlic salt

Preheat oven to 400.  Mix the first 4 ingredients together.  Stir until combined and then drop onto a baking sheet.  Cook for 10 minutes.  While baking mix together the butter, parsley, and garlic salt.  After 10 minutes brush on top of biscuits and bake another 5 minutes until golden brown. 

I was able to make 4 biscuits with these amounts so increase the recipe as needed.

Herbed Carrots (from Paula Deen Magazine)
2T Butter
1T olive oil
1T chopped fresh thyme
2t minced garlic
2 large carrots sliced to 1/4" thickness
1/4t salt
1/8t black pepper

In a skillet heat butter and oil until butter is melted.  Add thyme and garlic and heat 1 minute.  Add carrots, salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes or until carrots are crisp tender.

Note:  I didn't use the full amount of butter /oil (you know Paula goes heavy on those!) and I used dried thyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment