Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Recipe Recap (and some Nolan pics)

As previously stated, a resolution I started last year and plan to continue this one is to make a new recipe each week.  I have a huge collection of recipes and this is a good way for me to use them! 

For the 1st week of January I wanted to make a traditional beef stew.  I have made some Mexican beef stews in the past but never a traditional one.  I set off to look through my cookbooks and finally decided on one from The Joy of Cooking.  While it wasn't terrible, I don't think Kevin or I was a huge fan.  It called for parsnips and turnips which I only had in small quantities in the past.  I think they overwhelmed the stew.  They might have been ok on a much smaller scale.

This week technically I am making 2 new recipes.  On Sunday I made an orange-soy-ginger marinade (torn out from Southern Living I believe) for some pork tenderloin that Kevin grilled.  I thought it was pretty good and Nolan gobbled up the pork but Kevin thought the flavors were a little strong.  I do agree that the orange was definitely present but that didn't bother me.

Tonight I made some zesty chicken enchiladas.  This is a recipe torn out from Real Simple magazine.  I have tried so many different enchilada recipes over the years.  I used to make them with flour tortillas but have discovered that they need to be made with corn ones to taste more "authentic".  In my attempt to be a food blogger a picture is below.  The recipe was such that you could make your own tomatillo salsa or just buy a jarred green salsa.  I went the quick route with the jarred salsa.  I think these were pretty good...a little on the spicy side but you could probably find a mild salsa.  They also come together pretty quickly with the use of a store bought rotisserie chicken.

Zesty Chicken Enchiladas
Finally here are a few pictures of Nolan for 363Project.


Day 6:  A trip to Chick-fil-a (mommy and daddy were trying the new spicy chicken biscuit for free!)


Day 7:  Discovering some old toys in my new toy organizer


Day 8:  A brief tantrum before school

Day 9:  Practicing his phonics

1 comment:

  1. I was just looking at that Choo Choo shirt on Gymboree, but they don't have Kyle's size. The enchiladas sound good...and I like easy dinners!

    ReplyDelete