Week 39 I made ham rolls. Ellie brought these to us after Henry was born and provided the recipe. It is a yummy meal that even Nolan enjoyed! Because of having a bunch of green beans I used them instead of the asparagus. They were fine but I think I prefer the asparagus. I tried to find a similar recipe on-line to paste but was unable to. It is basically a bed of white rice, deli ham with a few spears of asparagus wrapped inside and topped with a cheddar cheese sauce. Yummy!
Week 40 Southwestern Chicken Casserole. I came across this on a cooking blog and thought all of the ingredients sounded up our alley. This was good. It will definitely be made again. http://hezzi-dsbooksandcooks.blogspot.com/
Southwestern Chicken Casserole
1 pound boneless chicken tenders
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. uncooked white rice
1 1/2 c. salsa
4 oz. can green chilies
2 t. cumin
1/2 t. red pepper
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 t. paprika
1 c. cheddar cheese
1 lime, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In the baking pan combine the chicken broth, milk, water, corn, black beans, rice, salsa, green chilies, cumin, and red pepper. Mix well.
3. On top of the rice mixture lay the chicken tenders. Sprinkle paprika, salt, and pepper over the chicken. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes remove from oven, sprinkle with the cheese, and return to the oven without the foil. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and brown.5. Remove from oven and sprinkle with juice from 3 of the lime wedges. Serve on a plate with additional lime wedges and cornbread muffins.
Week 41 Bow ties with Sausage Tomatoes and cream. This was yummy but not very healthy! It has 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream! I think this is something I would make again. Maybe I would substitute half and half for the cream to make it a little "lighter." I got this from the following blog: http://tasteofhomecooking.blogspot.com
Bow Ties with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream
Modified from Allrecipes.com
1-lb package bow tie pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional if you want more heat)
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions; drain.
Heat oil in a large, deep skillet (large enough to hold the sauce and pasta) over medium heat. Cook sausage and pepper flakes (if using) until sausage is evenly brown. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir cooked pasta into sauce, and heat through. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Week 42 We got back in town on Sunday afternoon and I tried to come up with a quick menu for the week so that I could be in and out of the grocery store quickly. I also needed to find a new recipe. I flipped through my green binder and found a recipe for some biscuits that I thought would go well with our dinner that night. These were good and super quick and easy to make.
French Onion Biscuits
Ingredients
- 1 (8-oz.) carton French onion dip
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
Preparation
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients until smooth. Stir in baking mix until well blended. Divide dough into 12 equal portions, and arrange on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops of dough with melted butter.
- 2. Bake at 450° for 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes, we used Bisquick All-Purpose Baking Mix.
- Ranch Biscuits: Substitute 1 (8-oz.) carton Ranch dip for French onion dip. Prepare recipe as directed.
No comments:
Post a Comment