Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Recipe Recap Week 7

This week's new recipe comes from the Paula Deen magazine I used to get.  It was for Iron Skillet Tamale Pie.  I think this is a new favorite of Kevin's.  I liked it, but as is often the case I felt that it could use a little more spice.  Maybe using ground sausage instead of beef would give it the zip I am looking for.  I made it in a baking dish instead of a skillet and it filled it up to the brim so next time I will have to use a bigger dish.

1 pound ground chuck
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
1 cup cream-style corn
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
  1. In a large skillet, combine ground chuck, onion, and bell pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and crumbly. Drain well. Stir in enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal mix, cream-style corn, milk, oil, and eggs, stirring until smooth. Stir in sugar and chili powder. Pour one-third of batter into skillet. Bake 10 minutes. Spoon meat mixture evenly over cornbread layer. Spoon remaining cornmeal batter evenly over meat mixture. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cornbread comes out clean. Cut into wedges to serve.
  4. 
    Picture from the magazine...we didn't make ours look this pretty!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment