Week 33 I made baked chimichangas. I followed the recipe for the filling and it was fine but I think you can really fill these with anything. I already have them on the menu again using left over chicken taco meat from the crock pot. At Chuy's I always order the tomatillo sauce to go over my burrito so I really liked this sauce. I almost halved the recipe and I wish I had because it makes a lot. I froze the left over sauce in two containers so hopefully it will defrost well for future meals. HEB had 14oz cans of crushed tomatillos so that is what I used.
Baked Chicken Chimichangas (From So Tasty So Yummy)
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
¼ cup water
4 burrito (large) size tortillas
1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
Combine spices and cornstarch in a small bowl. Sprinkle the bottom of the crockpot with the spice mixture. Top with the chicken, Rotel and water. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. Shred the chicken with two forks and cook for 30 minutes more.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a large cookie sheet. Combine the shredded chicken with the cheese. Lay out the tortillas and top each with ¼ of the chicken mixture. Roll up the tortillas burrito style, placing them seam side down on the cookie sheet. Spray the top of the Chimichangas with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with queso or Deluxe Tomatillo sauce. Garnish with sour cream, tomato and cilantro.
Deluxe Tomatillo Sauce
1 can (28 ounces) tomatillos
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ jalapeno, minced
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon sugar
1 cup sour cream
In a saucepan, combine tomatillos, broth, cumin, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender. Return to heat, stir in the sour cream and cook 3 minutes more until heated through.
Week 34. A while back my mom had mentioned the food section of the paper had a recipe for Nikko Nikko's roasted potatoes. I love their potatoes and always choose them as my side when we eat there so I was excited to give them a try. While I wouldn't say these turned out exactly like theirs, they were tasty and made for a nice side dish.
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform pieces
3 or 4 lemons
1 to 2 tablespoons powdered chicken soup base
1 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place the potatoes in a casserole dish. Squeeze the lemons (recipe states seeds and all) over the potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chicken soup base.
Roast for about an hour. Serve.
Week 35. I came across a recipe for cheesy zucchini rice while looking at a blog. I thought it sounded good. This was pretty tasty. The rice does get a little gluey from the cheese but it is something I would make again.
Cheesy Zucchini Rice (From Pink Parsley)
adapted from Comfort of Cooking, originally from Real Simple
adapted from Comfort of Cooking, originally from Real Simple
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 medium zucchini, grated on the large holes of a cheese grater
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- salt and pepper, to taste
Bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the rice, cover, and reduce heat to low.
Cook about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove from heat, add the butter and zucchini, and cover. Allow to stand 5 minutes, then stir to incorporate. Stir in the cheese, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Cook about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove from heat, add the butter and zucchini, and cover. Allow to stand 5 minutes, then stir to incorporate. Stir in the cheese, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Week 36. Last night I made baked garlic rice pilaf from Annie's Eats. This is easy to make but you do have to start it early because with all of the cooking time it takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I thought this was good and Kevin couldn't stop raving about how good it was. He said it was "restaurant quality." This will become a go to side.
Ingredients:
2 tbsp. butter
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 cup long-grain white rice
2½ cups chicken broth, divided
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375° F. Have ready a covered casserole dish. In a saucepan or skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and rice to the pan and cook until both are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the chicken broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish, cover, and bake for 25 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1½ cups chicken broth and bake, covered, for another 45 minutes. About 15 minutes before it is finished baking, stir in a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Note: This recipe can be doubled without increasing the baking time.
No comments:
Post a Comment